Thursday, March 25, 2010

Croup


At 5:30am Lincoln woke up. He was crying and I went to go get him. My first thought was, "Wow! He slept all night for the first time since forever ago!!" Then as I went into his room I could hear him gasping for breath in between cries. It sounded terrible! It was like a gasp crossed with the honk of a goose and a cough. Not a good sound at 5:30 am when you are a first time mom and just lived through RSV.

We called his doc, which reminds me to mention that I can't stress enough how awesome it is to have a doc who takes her own call all the time! Its amazeballs. She called right back and said to go ahead and take him in since she hasn't seen him lately and you never know with breathing problems.

So we got dressed and jumped in the car and raced off to Cooks. We went there because last time we got sent there because regular hospitals are very very scared of babies. Like how 5 year olds are scared of the boogieman. I think they are afraid of the deadly baby venom that most babies carry. We got to Cooks, and again, they were super nice, and immediately diagnosed it as Croup.

Duh, Croup! I should have known, I saw that on Terms of Endearment! Apparently its not that big of a deal and just sounds way worse than it is. They gave him a breathing treatment and some steroids because they were worried that he was so skinny and wanted him to bulk up a bit. Hah, that was a joke, have you seen the size of my child!?! Then we just had to hang around to make sure he was ok, then they released us.

He was happy most of the time and trying diligently to remove the little leg bands they put on him and was successful. Jay snoozed a little then held Linc for a while. Linc had a little pulse thingy on his toe and it fell off and so to help, Jay put it back on his toe. Then it fell off again. Then Jay thought to keep it from beeping and just for fun, he would put it on his own finger. The thing went crazy beeping and screaming. I told him to please knock it off. Then about 10 minutes later, just for fun AGAIN Jay stuck his finger in it again! Sometimes its so fun raising two boys!

Now we're home and Lincoln is napping lots and doing just fine. Days like this are when I am extra thankful that I don't have to go into work anymore!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

That's the cutest photo! Sorry you had to go through that this morning! yes, i will be thankful that i'm home more to handle all of our illnesses.