Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hospitals

Here's the thing about hospitals... They are not fun. When I was a kid, being at the hospital in Houston was kinda fun. I got to race down the halls in wheel chairs. I had an all-access backstage pass to the room the nurses hung out in, you know, with the little fridge with the juice cups. Everyone knew me and my Dad and we ate hospital food daily. It was way better than school food. It was more fun too. I could explore our floor, others, even walk under the street all the way to Texas Children's and get my Dad and I lunch at McDonald's. It was sometimes boring, but mostly like a little mini adventure.

Now I am old- er and the hospital that I am hanging out in is in Corpus Christi and it is not fun or adventurous. Its stinky and kinda boring. I'm really glad that I am here to take care of Baba. He's taken care of me my whole life and its an honor to care for him now. Also because Nani needs help. That part is great... but the hospital food isn't what I remember and now I look a little silly wheeling up and down the halls in a wheel chair. I also don't get quite as excited about free juice.

I think that God teaches us in all different ways. I also think that He likes to surprise me with the lesson. Whatever it is that I think I'm going to learn from a certain situation or time in my life is almost never right - it ends up being something completely different and better and more important than what I expected. And the experience and lesson is always humbling. I think that is the point.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I have a visual image of you going up and down the hall in a wheel chair as a little girl and as an adult. It makes me laugh. We are so glad that Baba is doing well. Keep us updated and take care of yourself.